Monday 25 November 2013

The Thankful Project

My darling friend Lisa tagged me in a thing where you write about stuff you're thankful for. I am very thankful to have a reason to blog today! So let's see.

1. A person


 I'm sure everyone expected this but obviously it's my girlfriend. She is the sweetest and most beautiful person to me and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with her. I kept scrolling up while writing this post to look at this picture again because she is SO PRETTY  <3

2. A role you’ve played


 I kept trying to think of a really interesting 'role' I've played in my life (sister? girlfriend? fangirl?) but I couldn't think of anything I wanted to write about so I decided to interpret it very literally and say that I'm very thankful to have played the role of angel for a photoshoot when I worked at a costume design company. Really I just wanted to post this picture of teenage-me as an angel.

3. A place



Maison Rouge. My grandparents bought this beautiful 300 year old farm in the French countryside in the 60s and made it into a true little paradise. All of my summers were spent there as a child, but I grew unbelievably bored of it as a teenager when all I wanted was to travel to places I hadn't been before and go on wild adventures. Now that I am becoming old and boring however, I love this place more than anything. I've stayed there with my friends for the past two years, and it gave me the chance to discover the house and the beautiful surroundings in a whole new way. It is a beautiful and peaceful place and I can't wait to go back there next summer.

4. An experience


Seeing The Darkness in Liverpool. When I was 17, I spent a lot of my time on a fan forum about Dan Hawkins from The Darkness. They were about to do their last gig of the tour in Liverpool, and everyone in the fandom was either going or constantly crying about how they weren't going. I was in the latter category. Two days before the gig, just as I was coming to terms with the fact that I would have to just live vicariously through my friends that were going to be there, someone offered me a free ticket. She was going to go with her boyfriend, but they'd split up and he'd told her to go with a friend instead. What happened in between isn't pretty, so I'll fast forward to the moment when I set foot in England for the first time in my life, saw my favourite band playing what was going to be one of their last gigs before they (temporarily) broke up, and took this picture with Dan. I flew home the next morning without sleeping and floated on a happy cloud made of Darkness for the next few months.

5. A talent you have




Making stuff. I haven't done enough of that lately, but I used to constantly sew fishbags and weird dolls. I made this little fucker inspired by a Mika video and then took him with me everywhere for a few months and took pictures of him doing everything I did. This is him ice skating behind my grandma's house.

6. A failure


 Dropping out of fashion school. This is me in front of the Amsterdam Fashion school I went to for a year an a half, posing in an outfit I made/styled for an assignment. I learned quite a few things in the first year, but in the end it made me incredibly miserable and I'm glad I could step away from this extremely toxic environment, even if it meant giving up my dream of becoming The Darkness' personal stylist......

7. Words 


 Even for this one I could find a relevant picture! Me and Oscar Wilde in Dublin last summer ;) I am very thankful for all of his beautiful words, of course he is responsible for many funny witty quotes but my favourites are lines that are just beautiful like a painting can be beautiful.

The world has changed because you are made of ivory and gold,
the curves of your lips rewrite history 

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

Put out the torches, hide the moon, hide the stars
 
8. A photo


Best friend, girlfriend and myself in Southampton all covered in glitter about to see a Bowie tribute band. I'm wearing a Darkness top. So many good things. 

9. A memory


 Getting my first tattoo. Here a real ladybird came to say hi to it. I was 19 when I got it, and even though I it's not perfect and needs some touching up it still means a lot to me because it was one of the first decisions I really made for me.

10. An opportunity    


Studying in Southampton for a year. This picture of me and my parents was taken on the ferry to Dover on the day I moved to England. It was a beautiful year and it changed my life forever. I miss Southampton so much and I can't wait to go back next week to see my girlfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment