Tuesday 22 January 2013

I'm not Hannah, I'm Carrie!

Lately, literally everyone on earth has talked, tweeted or blogged about the show Girls. It is supposed to be THE voice of our generation, and every girl in her early twenties is supposed to totally identify with the characters, especially the main character Hannah, played by Lena Dunham. She is an awkward, slightly fat aspiring writer. As a fellow slightly fat, sometimes slightly awkward aspiring writer I should be completely into this, I should think 'finally, someone on tv who is JUST LIKE ME!' But I don't think that at all. Hannah's life consists of failing relationships and friends that she actually kind of doesn't get on with all that much and she makes a point on constantly looking as unattractive as possible. It could very well just be me, but why would I want to watch a show about someone who is failing at what I'm trying to succeed at? I'm not Hannah. I would never say 'Look I'm wearing shoes that match my dress!' because why on earth would I wear shoes that DIDN'T match my dress, but more importantly, I would just much rather watch a show about people that I can look up to. Which brings me to that other show about four women in New York...

 

 Look, I know the movies were crap. And I hate hate hate the episode about bisexuality ('just pick a side' OH PUH-LEASE) And sure, they were a little bit too desperately looking for men. And Mr. Big is, let's face it, a complete cunt. But at least Carrie has a life I can look up to! I mean instead of a newspaper column I write this blog, and instead of eighty pairs of Manolos I have twenty pairs of H&M wedges, but when I watch that episode where Carrie has her book release party in the millionth rerun it makes me want to work really hard so that in a few years *I* can wear some kind of fabulous black and white lace dress to *my* book release party. I go out for lunch with my girlfriends and make stupid sex puns, just like Carrie! And on a serious note, when you're as vain as me it is really, really nice to see the clothes-obsessed one being the heroine. Female characters that women are supposed to relate to are always all 'oh I can't walk in heels haha I wear an ugly unflattering dress', but shallow bitches like me also like to have someone to identify with!


I'm sorry Lena Dunham, but I don't want to hate on myself for sharing any characteristics with her:
 

When I can pretend I am even nearly as awesome as her:


Just in time to keep my promise to blog every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment